Thursday Discussion Topic: A Lawman Perk You May Not Have Noticed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 virens

virens

Tour Guide

• 477 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Aftermath is a game that encourages you to play and explore.  It is possible to survive on your own, but the player that communicates with others, researches, and notices the world around them will have the advantage.

I want to talk about a game mechanic Survival Mode players have been playing with this whole time.

Have you ever noticed that after death and respawn, some players have all the luck?  Have you noticed that some people are usually able to revive closer to their location of death, and others are tossed a few grids away?  Does it seem like peaceful civilians don't have to run as far?  Have you noticed that Lawmen can generally get back to the location they are defending faster than a Bandit can run there after death?  Are there places on the map that you just can't seem to spawn in at as a Bandit?

Who has noticed this?  Who has noticed and thought it was a bug?  Now that you think about it, are there any other differences between the games of a Lawman and a Bandit that you may have noticed?

___

Let's keep this on topic. Off topic posts will be removed without notice. 

• redrick shoohart and HellVenge like this

#2 Genocider

Genocider

Noob Squad

• NEW USER
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA - SPAIN

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

My brain just exploded.... I wanna know more.

I thought all this was a gamble....

I also noticed that spawn by group works better than spawn proximity if ur near a friend.

#3 HellVenge

HellVenge

Old Veteran since War Z

• TRANSLATOR
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

I'm a bandit, -35 REP... because otherwise I would've died over 120938129873 times Q_Q

#4 Boris The Blade

Boris The Blade

Fresh Meat

• 43 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have noticed the game encourages the path of the lawman throwing in perks like these

#5 virens

virens

Tour Guide

• 477 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

My brain just exploded.... I wanna know more.

I thought all this was a gamble....

I also noticed that spawn by group works better than spawn proximity if ur near a friend.

Possibly. Does it always work like that, or does it make a difference as to your location on the map?  When you respawn by group vs. proximity are you trying to do it near locations that would favor bandits, civilians, or lawmen?  Are you in the wilderness or near civilization?  What about the person trying to spawn in and the person they are trying to spawn in on?  Do you think their reputation in the world makes a difference?

I'm not saying it makes a difference or it doesn't.  I'm just asking questions here. :)

#6 virens

virens

Tour Guide

• 477 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have noticed the game encourages the path of the lawman throwing in perks like these

Have you noticed any other possible perks?

#7 Genocider

Genocider

Noob Squad

• NEW USER
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA - SPAIN

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

Yeah i noticed that spawn by group when ur near Gas stations (almost outside of town) u spawn near ur team mates, while if ur in the center you can spawn far way from town.

#8 Logan Aigaion

Logan Aigaion

Tour Guide

• 456 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

It's actually quite possible what you say here Virens, I didn't realise it, but that can explain alot. Problem is that the actual game mechanism don't encourage people to be lawmens, second problem is that everybody in this game shoots first and asks questions later avec the actual rep system is really badly assored (if you get attacked by a lawmen of neutral guy first and you kill him, you still get bad rep for defending yourself).

I looted a sherif badge on a guy I killed recently, does it have some kind of incidence on rep ? It's what the item says in description but I can't figure out if it's actually active of not. 

• Gigon likes this

#9 virens

virens

Tour Guide

• 477 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

It's actually quite possible what you say here Virens, I didn't realise it, but that can explain alot. Problem is that the actual game mechanism don't encourage people to be lawmens, second problem is that everybody in this game shoots first and asks questions later avec the actual rep system is really badly assored (if you get attacked by a lawmen of neutral guy first and you kill him, you still get bad rep for defending yourself).

I looted a sherif badge on a guy I killed recently, does it have some kind of incidence on rep ? It's what the item says in description but I can't figure out if it's actually active of not. 

The sheriffs badge *does* have an impact on reputation.

Are you saying there aren't perks to being a Lawman, or are you saying that you don't know about the perks there are to being a Lawman?  Are the Lawmen not talking? Are they keeping their secrets? :)

In any event, I'm asking about the perks people have noticed or that people suspect.  If you would like to start a spin off topic about MORE incentive being needed, please do it, but this topic is for the discovery and discussion of what is already here.   So far your post about the Sheriffs badge is the first one that has brought up another Lawman thing that makes a difference to some people.

I may throw some more questions out later to try to lead the discussion if it stalls out, but there is more here to discover. Keep talking about it, asking each other questions, and comparing experiences.

#10 Logan Aigaion

Logan Aigaion

Tour Guide

• 456 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

The sheriffs badge *does* have an impact on reputation, and it has been working for quite some time.

Are you saying there aren't perks to being a Lawman, or are you saying that you don't know about the perks there are to being a Lawman?  Are the Lawmen not talking? Are they keeping their secrets? :)

Good to know, thanks for the tip Virens.

Actually it seems like they are keeping it secret, I never heard about it, you just learned something to me with your post :) It "almost" makes me wanting to become a Lawmen :P 

#11 CloudytheGamer

CloudytheGamer

Survivor

• 187 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

This is awsome me and my buddies will play late tonight and see if we can pick anything up :)

#12 Infected_Peoples

Infected_Peoples

Noob Squad

• 62 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

being a law man its hard to say. i havent really noticed much tbh. then again i dont die a lot. badges give bonus positive rep for killing bandits AND let "recovering bandits" a chance to be lawmen. though tbh i have found myself spawning particularly close but then again i had the bandit i kill spawned the same spot sooo yeha

#13 virens

virens

Tour Guide

• 477 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:13 AM

being a law man its hard to say. i havent really noticed much tbh. then again i dont die a lot. badges give bonus positive rep for killing bandits AND let "recovering bandits" a chance to be lawmen. though tbh i have found myself spawning particularly close but then again i had the bandit i kill spawned the same spot sooo yeha

I was spawning pretty close to my towns last night, and then got sent halfway to the moon.  :P  Nothing is perfect.  

Something that I didn't see mentioned was that Bandit and Lawmen safezones are different.  The Lawmen's safezone has clean water in it, and the Bandit safezone has dirty water.  

The water is something that only takes a few more seconds of work, but if you've never seen a clean or dirty water tank, you have never seen a safezone that belongs to the opposite faction.  Think about that for a second.

Not a big deal?  What happens when you leave a safe zone?  Is a pretty safe to leave, or a dangerous adventure? Where do you go? What is the loot like there? How long do you have to travel to get there?  Are you able to spread out and get some space from other players, or are you fighting every step of the way?

Since it isn't Thursday, I'm going to stop commenting on this topic now, but it might be something to think about. :)

#14 suggett66

suggett66

Noob Squad

• NEW USER
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

For me the rep doesn't actually work, i'm constantly on something like +7 or +6 and whenever i get a kill and get like +12 or +10 my rep will either not go up, go down by 1 or 2, or go up by 1 or 2 so i don't know what's going on there.

Also i doubt this is a thing as i have spawned on my group multiple times in the same area as a lawman and have been thrown randomly, sometimes i spawn couple hundred meters away, another time i'll be a couple of squares away. 

#15 iiviiozzie

iiviiozzie

Noob Squad

• 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

Having closer respawns would be an awesome perk but from personal observation this isn't the case. Aside from having an extra safe zone and the water I don't believe there are any extra incentives.

#16 Gigon

Gigon

Fresh Meat

• NEW USER
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

What about the size of the safe zone, is that impacted by rep?  It seems like I am an long ways off from the town when I enter into the safe zone.

Problem is that the actual game mechanism don't encourage people to be lawmens, second problem is that everybody in this game shoots first and asks questions later avec the actual rep system is really badly assored (if you get attacked by a lawmen of neutral guy first and you kill him, you still get bad rep for defending yourself).

I was attached by someone and killed them in self-defense but I got the negative rep point.  I think this needs to be worked on.  

#17 Bowbie

Bowbie

Fresh Meat

• NEW USER
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Have you noticed that Lawmen can generally get back to the location they are defending faster than a Bandit can run there after death?

No, just no.

I am at +15 rep and I respawn every fracking time 2 grid away, whereas my buddy (-50 rep) respawn always closer than me, significantly.

#18 bluepotatoes

bluepotatoes

Noob Squad

• NEW USER
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

+30 rep and I dont notice to many things

• iiviiozzie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users